Friday, 15 November 2013

What is Genre?


Genre is a key media concept, it will be necessary to consider when making our music video. Everyone has a varied taste in music, which is why genres are important in the music industry. For my coursework, I will need to pick a song belonging to a particular genre of music, and then I will need create a music video following the genres conventions. I will research different genres and their conventions to identify trends and further my knowledge. From my research, I also intend challenging typical conventions in my music video in order to make the product more interesting and original. I will also research particular audiences and make a audience profile of a particular fan of my chosen genre.

A musical genre is a category that identifies a piece of music as belonging to a set of conventions, ideas and traditions, etc. Examples include “pop”, “rock”, “indie”, etc. Each have their own trends, which evolve over time, such as sense of fun, bright colours, dancing, and catchy lyrics in pop music.
           
A genre can be broken down further into a subgenre, identifying more specific conventions – usually in terms of music.

Below is a table showing different genres broke down into subgenres based on my research:


No comments:

Post a Comment